Every material on this site is authentic and was extracted from the complete available project.Click to GET IT NOW
MS-WORD DOC || CHAPTERS: 1-5 || PAGES: 76 || PRICE: ₦3000
MANAGERIAL JOBS AND THEIR EFFECTIVENESS
1.1 Background of the Study
Management has been defined as the effective utilization and coordination of resources such as capital plant, materials and labour to achieve predetermined objectives with maximum efficiency (Ladipo, 2001). The resources of the organization can also be intangible resources example time, knowledge, skill and effort. It is effective utilization of these resources that leads to actualization of organizational goals. Thus, management effectiveness is measured of the extent to which one organization is able to achieve its objective or goals at the least possible time and cost. Any defectiveness in the utilization of these resources will certainly amount liquidation.
In public organizations, it is difficult to know exactly whether management is effective or not. This is because unlike in the private organization where production level, profit and sale volume are used as criteria, the information or services rendered in public organization lacks specific quantifiable measure. This makes it difficult to access the effectiveness of the management in public organizations like in Akwa Ibom Broadcasting Corporation Radio, which may not solely depend on the turnover of individual that is why it is possible for individual to work also to achieve their own goals while at the same time performing the organizational tasks. (Augustus 2000).
Managerial jobs and their effectiveness also differ as a result of technological differences for example, how can two companies or organizations be compared while one is using technology in their service or product production and the other no technology or inferior technology and the other more sophisticated technology. The latter will produce better and cheaper goods and services than the other with no technology or inferior technology. This will definitely create room for ineffective management especially in public organization who are susceptible boost their services to the public (Nigeriajournal of Administrative Sciences 2003) secondly. The availability of the technology might not be the problem, but negative attitude shown by the management towards technological and development.
Management of fund (public) is also important for effective appropriation of fund and other resources for efficient growth of the organization corporation irrespective of how direction and policy provided for the use of public fund and resources there is still poor management of finances. This is because public finances are not in the hand of one person or managed by one person. There is tending to selfish mindset of public personnel to divert the finances for personal use. Moreover, the management of public finances demands financial soundness and competency. Psychologically, public personnel work with the attitude that in services training is irrelevant. For effective management of finances to be attained top management or strategic managers both in private and public organizations must take into concentration sound financial control, knowing that finances is the life blood of every organization whether small or big, private or public, whether production or service providing (Rick 2000). There is a need to attend or participate in training and development programmes, seminars and professional conferences.
Management effectiveness in public Corporation like any Akwa Ibom Broadcasting Corporation Radio also demands effective analysis and evaluation of alternative courses of actions for proper decision making to be arrived. It might not be evaluation of the alternative of actions but effective implementation of the team decision made is one of the outstanding implementation facing public organizations inNigeria. Because of weak and bad leadership in public organization, other areas like proper implementation of financial technological, political, economic and educational decisions are deadly affected Nigerian Institution of Management (NIM, 2006)
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
Public organization like Akwa Ibom Broadcasting Corporation has offered essential communication service to the public despite management limitations. The limitation however extends to technological development in terms of poor financial management of public funds. The management might have sound financial skills but fails to bring it to bear in control of public finances. This is because they believe it is not from their suffering and sweat, and that more funds would still be circulated. Secondly, they fail to embrace the need of technological needs to improve public services to humanity. This is one of the reasons, many of public servants refuse to appreciate and participate in training programmes offered by the government.
Moreover, some of their services, plans and implementations fail to perform above board. They believe that in-service training is worthless and profitless. If this in-service is provided, No wonder they cannot perform maximally for the actualization of organization’s objectives and goals.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY:
The general purpose of the study is to assess the impediments to effective management of public organization. There are various impediments that hinder effective management of AKBC, some of them are:
- To determine the effect of Poor financial management on effective management of Akwa Ibom State Broadcasting corporation radio service.
- To find-out the effect of Negative attitude to technological development on effective management of Akwa Ibom State Broadcasting Corporation Radio Service.
- To examine the influence of Non- implementation of decision making or policies on effective management of Akwa Ibom State Broadcasting Corporation Radio Service.
- To determine the effect of Inadequate in-service training of human resource or staff on effective management of Akwa Ibom State Broadcasting Corporation Radio Service.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The following research questions were advanced and used in the study:-
- To what extend does Poor financial management affect effective management of Akwa Ibom Broadcasting corporation Radio service?
- What is the effect of Negative attitude to technological development affect effective management of in Akwa Ibom Broadcasting corporation Radio service?
- How does Non- implementation of decision making or policies affect effective management of Akwa Ibom Broadcasting corporation Radio services?
- Does inadequate in-service training of staff in Akwa Ibom Broadcasting Corporation affect its effective management?
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
The following research hypotheses were formulated to guide the study:-
- There is no significant influence on Poor financial management on effective management of Akwa Ibom State Broadcasting Corporation Radio Service.
- There is no significant influence on Negative attitude to technological development on effective management of Akwa Ibom State Broadcasting Corporation Radio Service.
- There is no significant influence on Non- implementation of decision making or policies on effective management of Akwa Ibom State Broadcasting Corporation Radio Service..
- There is no significant influence on Inadequate in-service training of staff on effective management of Akwa Ibom State Broadcasting Corporation Radio Service.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY